Looking for ways to save money? Here's five fees you can cut to save some cash.
1. If you're looking to cut checking account fees, sign up for direct deposit, bill pay and free checking accounts. Remember that some banks may require that you maintain a minimum balance.
2. Mutual funds can charge four to six percent sales commission. Consumer reports says look for "no load" funds that are just as good.
3. You can haggle your way out of some of those add-ons when buying a car. Fees like dealer prep or document prep may be dropped if you threaten to walk and not buy the car.
4. If you want to get rid of that one time fee for installing a phone, TV or cable service, ask for a do-it-yourself kit for a basic installation.
5. Do you hate getting charged out-of-network ATM fees when traveling? Before your next trip, check to see if your bank is part of a free ATM network at that location.