Tuscaloosa firefighter drowns in South Dakota | News
A Tuscaloosa firefighter died Sunday, May 6, in a flash flood in South Dakota.
Douglas "PJ" Bean, a 29-year-old paramedic with the Tuscaloosa Fire and Rescue Department for four years, drowned in a flash flood in his hometown of Madison, South Dakota. Chief Alan Martin says Bean was in Madison for his brother's graduation.
Police say Bean was swept away in a creek that was rising from recent storms.
Nearly a dozen firefighters are traveling from Tuscaloosa to be a part of Bean's funeral this weekend.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man arrested for illegal possession of missing man's credit card
- Jameis Winston's high school coach says he never doubted Winston's innocence
- Man shot in Bessemer Saturday night dies at hospital
- Police search for suspect in Bessemer grocery store shooting
- Residents fight to keep East Ensley library open