UA holds Day of Service to honor April 27 anniversary | Community Spirit
University of Alabama students and faculty will commemorate the first anniversary of the April 27 tornado by giving back to the community. A Day of Service has been designated for Saturday, April 21.
The University says they will transport volunteers to one of three tornado-damaged sites. Volunteers will clean up and beautify those areas from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. when they'll return to campus for a short program and a free lunch. For more information on volunteering, visit http://www.ua.edu/features/service/dayofservice.html.
People who can't volunteer on Saturday can give a donation or help furnish a room in a recently rebuild house, said UA spokesperson Shane Dorrill.
Anyone who wants to volunteer outside of Tuscaloosa in honor of the anniversary can email firstname.lastname@example.org to let the University know what they're doing to help.
The city of Tuscaloosa has planned a memorial service for April 27, 2012 at Coleman Coliseum.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man arrested for illegal possession of missing man's credit card
- Jameis Winston's high school coach says he never doubted Winston's innocence
- Man shot in Bessemer Saturday night dies at hospital
- Police search for suspect in Bessemer grocery store shooting
- Residents fight to keep East Ensley library open